What is Valvira?
Valvira is a national agency operating under the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, charged with the supervision of the social and health care, early childhood education and care, and alcohol sectors. We direct implementation and supervision of health protection nationwide. We provide licensing for social and health care providers and offer guidance to the Regional State Administrative Agencies to achieve harmonised licensing, guidance and supervisory practices throughout Finland.
Our licensing activities
- Licensing of social welfare and health care professionals, protected occupational titles, fixed-term licenses
- Domestic and pool water hygience testers
- Production, import, wholesale and serving of alcohol
- National licenses for private social and health care providers
Health and research
- Termination and sterilisation (where relevant)
- Licensing under the Act on Assisted Fertility Treatments
Our supervisory activities
- Social care professionals
- Social care units
- Health care professionals
- Health care units
Health Protection Act
- Domestic and pool water hygiene tester license qualification providers
- Producers, wholesalers and licenseholders
- Product supervision
- Advertising and marketing
- Advertising ban
- Hazardou substances and labelling
- The Finnish Adoption Board operates in conjunction with Valvira
We provide guidance to Regional State Administrative Agencies
Valvira is tasked with providing guidance to the Regional State Administrative Agencies on all social and health care related matters. Our aim is to ensure the harmonisation of guidance, licensing and supervisory practices across Finland. Valvira and the Regional State Administrative Agencies undertake supervisory activities on the basis of jointly prepared supervision plans.
National Committee on Medical Research Ethics
The National Committee on Medical Research Ethics (TUKIJA) operates in conjunction with Valvira.
Supervision of health and social services in Finland
Valvira's service promise