The Tobacco Act includes bans and restrictions on the import of products. Such restrictions can be divided into time limits and quantitative restrictions. Time limits may prevent the import of products referred to in the Tobacco Act if the journey lasts less than 24 hours. Finnish Customs supervises the import of such products.
Bans concerning import
According to the Tobacco Act,
- persons under the age of 18 may not import tobacco products or nicotine-containing liquids
- the import of smokeless tobacco products (such as snuff, chewing tobacco and nasal tobacco) is prohibited. This ban also applies to the reception of such products by mail from countries outside Finland, for example. However, private persons may bring as baggage a maximum of 1,000 grams of smokeless tobacco products within a single calendar day for their personal use.
- private persons may not import or receive, for example, by mail from countries outside Finland, nicotine-containing liquids that are intended for vaporisation via an electronic cigarette and that contain nicotine in excess of 20 milligrams per millilitre, or are intended for medicinal purpose according to section 3(1) of the Medicines Act. However, private persons may bring as baggage, for their personal use, a maximum of 10 millilitres of a liquid containing nicotine in excess of 20 milligrams per millilitre.
- private persons may not acquire or receive tobacco products, electronic cigarettes or nicotine-containing liquids by mail, freight or other comparable means from countries outside Finland.
Time limits for imports
A person resident in Finland who arrives in Finland from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) by land or sea transport and whose journey has lasted no more than 24 hours may not import tobacco products or nicotine-containing liquids. However, the import ban does not apply to these products if it is apparent that they were acquired in Finland before the person left for the journey.
Similarly, a person resident outside the European Economic Area who arrives in Finland from outside the European Economic Area by land or sea transport and whose stay in Finland is not a transit journey and lasts no more than three days may not import tobacco products or nicotine-containing liquids. However, the import ban does not apply to these products if it is apparent that they are intended for his or her personal use during the stay in Finland.
Quantitative restrictions on imports for travellers
If the health warnings on tobacco products, electronic cigarettes, refill containers of nicotine-containing liquid or herbal products for smoking do not meet the requirements of the Tobacco Act, such items may only be imported to Finland by private persons in restricted quantities and solely for their own use.
The maximum permitted amounts of tobacco products are as follows:
- 200 cigarettes
- 50 cigars
- 100 cigarillos
- 250 grams of roll-your-own, pipe tobacco or waterpipe tobacco
- 200 dosage units or 250 grams of other tobacco products
The maximum permitted amount of nicotine-containing liquids in electronic cigarettes or refill containers is 10 millilitres.
The maximum permitted amount of herbal products for smoking is 200 pre-rolled units and 250 grams of loose product.